CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It's Been Awhile....

It's been awhile since I've written anything on this or any other blog, but due to the occurrences of a government class today, I feel I have a good deal to write about.

The class? A basic government class. The topic? Amending the constitution. We were all to come up with an amendment that we thought needed to be made to the constitution of the United States. Of course, we had the typical: taxes, voting age, driving/drinking age, abortion, gay marriage....

I'm not here to preach about abortion or gay marriage (not today, anyway). I am here to preach on something that upset me more than the topics themselves (unfortunately, I'm pretty used to dealing with them. :-\ ). No... what angered me was how truly apathetic people in the class were. I realize it was not a debate class, but no one bothered to even mention people other than those in the amendment and how it would affect them! My class is full of good, moral, Christian people (Catholic AND Protestant), but there was not a single one who stood up for the fact that there might be issues. It did not require a huge debate, a screaming match, or anything of the sort. But if a person calls themselves a Christian, how can they sit back and watch while people defend their positions and not even mention ours?

There is a boy in my class who is enthralled by politics. I don't understand why... government bores me to death. But he is a Catholic boy, and I would think he would at least have something to say about the other side of the coin. But he didn't.

I'm not passing judgement on him at all, that isn't right. What I do want to put out there is that if you believe in something, you have to stand for it. Is it any wonder our nation is going to the dogs when we refuse to even bring God into the classroom? When our students, our teenagers, refuse to mention that they think something is wrong, because they're afraid it will be blown out of proportion?

We, as Christians, cannot be apathetic. We were told to make disciples. This doesn't mean hounding people until they are so sick of hearing about God that they want to scream. It means being an example, showing Christ in our words and our deeds, not just sitting back as the world pelts its nonsense at us. It is our job to be strong... not bend with the governmental winds.

0 comments: